oriri-food-store

F Shaw: The handler of the EFCC Twitter account reveals all to Pulse

No Comments
F Shaw, the man who made the EFCC go viral

F Shaw reveals to Pulse what it was like to handle the EFCC Twitter account

The man who was behind the viral and funny tweets from the EFCC account was revealed on July 24, 2017.

His name is Olufemi Olukayode Adeyemi but he is better known by his music alias F Shaw. Adeyemi got a lot of commendations from people on social media when his identity was revealed. Some even went as far as saying he should be awarded a national honour.

 

Two months after leaving the EFCC, Pulse got an exclusive interview behind the famous Twitter handler. In the interview F Shaw speaks about why he joined the EFCC and what's next for him.

You can read the excerpts below;

Pulse - What year did you join the EFCC?

F Shaw- I joined the Commission in 2014.

Pulse - Why did you decide to join the anti-graft agency?

F Shaw- I decided to look for a 9-5 because music was not putting food on my table at the time and as an adult, you know, you have responsibilities. A lot of top shots in the industry and people generally always told me they respected me and that I was talented but my art wasn't exactly the best material for a quick ROI (return on investment). I could not compromise on the type of music I wanted to make so I dusted my CV and joined the agency after a test and an interview. I joined to better myself and upgrade my resume and also because I did not want to be popular and broke.

 

Pulse - Before handling the Twitter account what were your roles and duties in the agency? Were you on the front lines? Did you go on raids?

F Shaw - I am not at liberty to discuss what my exact roles were or some of the tasks I was involved in. What I can say is that I had primary and secondary/adhoc duties and handling the Commission's twitter account was the least of my duties.

Pulse - O.K, what led to you handling the EFCC Twitter account and what month of the year was this?

F Shaw - I think my superiors always felt I had good enough writing skills and that the account could be better run; so they decided to assign that duty to me. I took over the handle on the 9th of November 2016.

Pulse - Was it your idea to make the account witty and humorous?

F Shaw - Yes but that was completely accidental. What I did either gets you sacked brings accolades and thankfully it brought the latter. I brought a bit of my personality to the job. I just refined it a bit for corporate-speak.

 

Pulse - Quickly enough the Twitter handle started getting attention. Did you expect this?

F ShawI always felt putting out quality well structured information will generate attention and drive followers-ship but I did not expect it to "blow up" the way it did. I was only doing a job.

Pulse - The witty replies and epic clap backs went viral but it also attracted negative feedback. Did you expect this?

F Shaw - Well, there was some negative feedback but the positive feedback dwarfed them. To be honest, the Commission is used to negativity from all angles because by virtue of its mandate alone, it was never really going to be "liked" by many. You could type "good morning" and I can guarantee there will be somebody on the other end replying with "your father!..what's good about the morning you idiots". Negativity was always expected.

 

Pulse - Some people felt that for such a serious institution, the EFCC Twitter account shouldn't be throwing bants online. What do you feel about that?

F Shaw - Wisdom demands that you tailor your approach to your environment, understand your audience. I do not agree with them of course but I feel they are entitled to their opinions too. I think most objective people were smart enough NOT TO conflate the objective of a communications channel and the effective use of a social utility with their personal grievances or bias against the Commission.

I like to refer to this generation as the "banter generation". With communications, you have to be able to reach people where they are. Most times, the youth do not have the time or patience for corporate jargon. Once you can understand the method used to draw them in, you will have no issues with the banter.

Plus, objective people and people that actually followed the handle will tell you there was a steady supply of quality information but the banter got the most press. If your first source of information is gossip blogs, all you will see is the banter because that's all they will post by virtue of their trade or modus operandi.

You were never going to learn anything. The task was to draw closer to the people, quell misinformation and deliver as much information as possible within a short time.

ALSO READ: The EFCC Twitter account is pure bants and trolling

Pulse - How were you able to keep your identity as the EFCC handler a secret? Did you confide in anyone?

F Shaw - I put that on myself actually because I did not want to be distracted from my primary duties. I had told my bosses and colleagues not to tell anyone. A few people knew in-house but most did not. Considering the kind of life I live personally, it was not difficult at all.

Pulse - Why and when did you decide to leave the EFCC?

F ShawI planned by exit from the first day I got employed. I have phases and things I want to achieve in my life and with God's help, I try to execute these phases accordingly. Working with the Commission was a phase and I am glad it ended well. I left because I have other dreams and aspirations.

Pulse - Some said you were fired, is there any truth to this?

F Shaw - I do not know many fired employees who get celebrated by their organisation.

Pulse - When you handled the account, did any of your superiors tell you to reduce the humour and sarcasm?

F Shaw - Yes. One of my bosses and some of my colleagues did but I think it was because they did not understand the method at the time. For those that did, they were very scared because the change was swift; drastic if you will and they feared I'd go rogue.  I remember I explained the method through a memo and it was cemetery silence thereafter. Fear and panic turned to accolades for the Commission and as you know, nobody argues with results.

Pulse - So what's next for you? Going back to rap?

 

F Shaw - Yes. I will be releasing a new song this September. It's my ode to Lagos and it's titled "Lagos City Lights". It was produced by Spellz and Gate House Music. I recorded it with Ego of Lagbaja fame. I also have a couple of consultancy projects I'm working on for a number of brands. Whatever I do, I will always do music.



from pulse.ng - Gist http://ift.tt/2guv4X0

What do you think? Leave Your Comments Here ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
back to top