oriri-food-store

#Interview! Ipublicizenaija interviews Singer and rapper - Supernova Jamsta.

No Comments
SOJ, Supernova Jamsta, born 13th August, 1987, is a straight up naija Hip-hop artiste. Has raps and lyrics that blend on any beat, a style quite significant and different. He has so much love for the music, his heart beats for it he once said..
SOJ: “Its all I really know how to do naturally, its what I want to give to my society.. Just hope the world is ready and willing to accept me.”
Enjoy this interview.

1.Hi, introduce yourself.
My name’s Abasiubong Itama JR, AKA Basi, AKA SOJ, AKA SUPERNOVA
JAMSTA. Come from Akwa-Ibom state but I was born and bred in Lagos.

2.tell us a bit more about your family background.
My parents, Dorothy and Basi Snr, gave birth to five of us, my four sisters (Ekomobong, Enobong, Ini-Abasi, Mfon-Abasi) and me.  We all live together here in Lagos.
3.your parents were both choristers right?
Yea, both my parents were singers in their respective church choirs.

4.How come u chose a different genre.. I would guessed you would be a singer?
I started out singing (still do a bit, especially in songs I did like
one of a kind, carried away, focused, so I say… all in my current
mixtape) but the love for hip-hop kind of took over. Most times I sing
when I have to, but rapping is what I really have a passion for.
Creating punch lines and metaphors is something that blows my mind any
day every time!!
5.and how did your parents feel about your choice of genre?.
The first time I told my mom I was going to become a rapper (100
level, 2004) she said, “Make sure you do something different, because
you’re going to have lots of competition!” My dad saw me rap for the
first time I did a performance at a church event. My friends and I
represented the teen’s church. He was like, ”I never knew my son could
rap!” He was impressed.

6.did you have complications studying a different course entirely different from ur true passion.
It was hard and annoying combining music and computer engineering.
Most times the engineering took up most of my time. But I loved and still love music. I always made time for it. Plus I knew if I wanted to face it later on I would have to get the engineering out of theway. So I made up my mind to be done with that first, which I did in 2009. I still made songs during that period.

7.How do u see the Nigerian music industry?
The Nigerian music industry is still growing. There are so many genres
of music still left untapped. Yes it may take a while till these other
genres are paid attention to, but the time will come. There was a time
when people didn’t even listen to rap music, talk less of knowing what
a punch line, entendre or even a metaphor was. That’s all changing
now.

8.Tell us about ur mixtape.
My mix tape “Supernova Jamsta_Da Mixtape” is an expression of who SOJ
is. Most of the tracks are narratives with verses that tell stories of
incidents that have happened or are about to happen. Pretty eyes is
about a heart break that hasn’t really been gotten over, carried away
is about the situation of things around us in our country Nigeria,
work all day is about that continuous hustle and grind etc. it’s quite
easy to know what am talking about in my verses because I always like
to deliver a message to listeners.
 
9. So should we expect more from you this year.. What are u working on currently?
Before my mix tape was completed, work had already commenced on new tracks. So yes, more should be expected from me this year and henceforth.

10. Any A -list collaborations you would like to have?
Right now am working on featuring other artists with different styles
and genres. This you will have to be on the lookout for. One thing I
can say though is that you will not be disappointed!! Preparations for
videos for tracks on my mix tape are also being put in place by my
team and I as well.
Artists I would definitely like to collaborate with are Burna Boy,
P.R.E, Shaydee, Chidinma, Eva, Pryse, Olamide and Tesh Carter. Just to
mention a few.

11. And where do you see yourself in let's say 5years?
In the next five years I see myself doing more and more music; I also have a passion for videos, so I see myself doing that as well.

Follow SOJ on twitter @Mr_amati

DOWNLOAD MIXTAPE

What do you think? Leave Your Comments Here ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
back to top